Tuesday, October 26, 2004

First Day of School

I woke up this morning and had a purpose, a certain motivation to make a difference in some child’s life. The darkness of my morning commute allowed for some anticipation as I sipped my tea. The questions were floating around in my head as I paid close attention to road signs, cautiously driving to Brookside. Work at an elementary school; It always sounded like something I would enjoy and would be good at but as for a career how would I know until I tried it right. So today was the first test, and what a test it was.
This morning when I woke up I never would have guessed I would be a hero on my first day of teaching, but I left Mrs. C’s classroom with a quiver and as I approached the door handle of my car I’m sure I had a tear on the verge. I still can’t believe my day ended the way it did. I think it was one of those experiences that you just remember for simple principle.
As I walked the students outside to their busses, one of my students returned hysterical, crying and shaking. I thought, what is the matter with this poor girl. So I kneeled down, embraced her in my arms a little and tried to talk to her. She had blurted out between wails that she lost her jacket. The school office secretary after hearing the commotion came and assisted me with this dilemma, which I greatly appreciated because it was helpful to have a motherly figure around at this point. So I decided that I would go find the jacket and bring it to her at her bus. She was off to bus twenty-seven and I was off to find the blue jean jacket, hoping that it would be near our room somewhere. I mean you never know with second graders, things appear in the strangest places with these kids.
I only took a few steps though until I realized this poor girl was absolutely terrified to go home with any type of bad news. She was scared for her safety I’m completely convinced of it. So when I found her jacket sitting on a chair in the hall, I picked up my pace to hurry back to the bus pick up to give her the jacket. But she had not made it to her bus. She ran back in the building desperately hoping to find the jean jacket herself. When I neared the doors of the building she made eye contact with me and as I kneeled down to give her the jacket she hugged me very tightly, as though I had just saved her of something terrible. It was a hug fueled by terror, not the hug that you want to receive from a second grader. She didn’t say a word, just hugged me and took off for bus twenty-seven.
Yeah, you can say that my first ever day of teaching was an interesting one. It was a day I will remember most likely for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home